Sunday, July 30, 2017

Tests 03-04

So I've done a few more tests: hooked up bowden cables, added heels onto the feet and took the feet on their first test run.

At some point during construction a stabilizer bolt on the right hand leg got bent outta shape and a stabilizer mount is on backwards, but even so it is pretty stable. That is and easy fix for this upcoming week (my work schedule changed so I can devote a few hours every day to it now).
Pretty soon the top and bottom half shall meet!

Monday, July 24, 2017

Springing to mind

Finished the ankle stabilizers (the modified bike suspension), which were hard to figure out but fun to do.

Top to bottom: Completed stabilizer, spring partially wound on (keyring style and had to be persuaded with a hammer), cut spring, uncut spring and empty suspension cylinder.

Completed stabilizer:

All four:

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Test 02: Shoulder mechanism test

Did a quick test of the top half dripping with 80s cheese.

Unfortunately the PVC frame for the arms are too heavy for the current shoulder mechanism and shift the center of gravity drastically (even if the pelvis straps were attached). I'm stripping it down to the bare minimum of just bolting the armor to a single pipe for the arms. Aesthetically there won't be any difference.

Tested the bowden cables yesterday, and they work surprisingly well when you can figure out where to mount them. The other set should arrive tomorrow (monday) so I should have the arms finished by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, I got some 57 lb springs to swap out the ones on bike suspension rated at 1500 lbs. The springs are too narrow to fit over the suspension cylinder, so I have to cut em down and thread 'em on keyring style... after I get the dremel attachment for cutting discs. Should work, I've had to cut a broken bearing out of my scooter before.

Friday, July 7, 2017

Tendons n' things

been working on some fiddly bits like the arm bowden anchors.  These act like handles to move the elbow joint back and forth, like the bicep/tricep.

Reusing them ol' foot straps

And some foot extension curves (PVC pits that act like springs)

I just realized how cool it would be to make extra-large "Halo" armor or something for this...

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Armed and Stasis

Sorry for the lack of updates. Had to re-build the stasis dock as the PVC was just too jiggly at 3' segments. Its also wider: 52".

Also built the arm superstructure.


Pretty soon I'll have to load the top half into the van and haul it up there. And speaking of the van...

I am a fan of "Simon's Cat"