Monday, June 25, 2018

Test Run




The legs do rub a bit. I like how they flare out but the main problem is they flop about because the only structural support is on the front. Technically they're supposed to be flush with the sides. If I keep 'em from wiggling there would probably be very little rubbing. Of course I also forgot to put on the belt strap, so the entire thing was flopping around on my back.

There is a lot of flopping at the moment.

Adding the weight of the torso onto the shins means I need more bungees to give proper resistance for the ankles. Gonna change the bungee hookes out for some bungee cord (off a spool!) instead. I'm also working on a lighter shin subframe, because the current ones weight about 20-30lbs!

Friday, June 22, 2018

Livestream Test


Finally figured out how to livestream.  At 720p.  From a tablet.  During peak hours.

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Arming Up


I got 2 pairs of boxing gloves at a local thriftstore.  Enough for a pair of fighting bots I guess :P






Started making the various bits out of metal:





Workflow is a bit different than carboard/papercraft.  You start out tracing from the paper pattern onto the sheet, but instead of directly cutting it out you just  score the metal with a knife and then tear along the seam.  It quite satisfying to rip metal into all the funny little patterns.





























Secured to the frame with bolts and some funky inner PVC framing that seemed simple but took up most of an afternoon.

 I put an outer sheathing on the elbow cables so they have more protection and look pretty cool.  I have no idea where the sheathing came from: found about a hundred feet of it all curled up in the bushes behind the house.





The "hands" in the glove is just a 2x4 slid into it, bolted onto the PVC frame.




The shoulders were quite an experience, using about 40 rivets each.  I'm banking on the duct tape wearing off.  Or I'm gonna need a wire brush.




Mounted in various ways (aka a stap, a floating ball and socket joint) the shoulders are looking interesting.  Using some fun noodles to give an interesting shape and act as a cushion from the projected jiggling the shoulders are gonna experience.



On a separate thrift store trip I got a skull and sparring helmet. Every 'bot needs a head, right?



Spoopy scary.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

First Time Suiting Up

Have everything together to try it on for size:


A few things appear to me right off the bat:

- Seat is unstable: perched on 3 posts wasn't my brightest idea.
-With such a narrow base, the stasis dock can tip backwards easily, especially with a loaded boom arm
- The step ladder is good if someone wants to try out the arms (e.g. exhibition) but for a full suit-up a step built into the stasis dock base would be handy.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Stasis Docks and broken feet.

Since spring is here, my van has finally defrosted from its snow bank.  I went on a supply run to get some lumber and PVC for a new stasis dock.


There are four casters on each corner.  The front two swivel, while the back two do not but lock to keep the unit from sliding away when suiting up.

An adjustable boom arm is useful making a variable height for suiting up.  Note: adjustment of the boom arm under load is not recommended.

Wrestled the torso onto the stasis dock.  Spent a good few hours trying to find the winch and hook from the first stasis dock.  Turns out they were hanging on a the coatrack near the door behind an extension cord and garden hose.

The feet broke up in the last video.  RIP feet.  The mech has been de-feeted before it has even fought!


So I've come up with a simple, robust design.


And reinforced it.

Stay tuned for a video testing out the stasis dock!

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Engines, Feets and Hands

 Been fiddling around with a snowblower engine.  Turns out a crankcase has a little valve to make a low-pressure system under the piston so it's easier for it to move up and down.  Without a sealed crankcase, there is too much pressure and the engine can't fully turn over.  So you either re-seal it (very hard to do) or get a new crankcase.  I tried some welding putty, but I guess it isn't airtight.  Since on this model the crankcase is attached to the engine block you can imagine where this leaves me.
 

 But, fiddling around with the engine has given me an idea for future mecha experiments: mainly on the powered variety.  All hush hush, you know.

Did some experimenting with foot patterns.  Very fancy (and Dutch!) but it doesn't seem very steady.


 So I went the simple route:


 In the meantime I also printed some revised hand parts.  Much more stable and rubber bands!




Sunday, February 11, 2018

Torso Armor

Just whipped up a quick & easy design for the chest piece.

Forseeable challenges would be riveting along the curve (requiring multiple small brackets/tabs) and mounting the head so the chestpiece can swing up.